Three Missions Chapter was Organized 14 October 1993 in Milam County, Texas with seventeen members. In October 1990, the Texas Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution rededicated the Texas State Centennial Park on Highway 79 on the west bank of the Brazos River. The original site, purchased by the Sarah McCallah Chapter of Cameron, had become landlocked when the highway was moved. When the Centennial Park was created, the original marker was moved to it, and a new centennial marker was placed alongside the historical marker for Robertson’s Colony in a roadside park. A conversation during the rededication mentioned how sad it was that such a long time Chapter (Sarah McCallah) had been allowed to dissolve in the area, leaving Central Texas DAR members only choices of joining chapters 40 to 80 miles away. From this simple observation arose the beginnings of a new Chapter: the Three Missions Chapter.
The objectives laid forth in the first meeting of the Three Missions Chapter have remained the same for the 20 years of active service to the national organization:
Historical – to perpetuate the memory and spirit of the men and women who achieved American independence
Educational – to carry out the injunction of Washington in his farewell address to the American people, “to promote, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge, thus developing an enlightened public opinion…”
Patriotic – to cherish, maintain, and extend the institutions of American freedom, to foster true patriotism and love of country, and to aid in securing for mankind all the blessings of liberty
History of the Agnes Woodson Chapter
On May 21, 1903 Miss Mary Pettus Thomas Organized the Agnes Woodson Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. There were 16 charter members. The Agnes Woodson Chapter was the ninth Chapter organized in Texas, and named for Agnes, daughter of Richard and Ann Michaux Woodson. Agnes was born at Poplar Hill, Prince Edward County, Virginia, on October 4, 1749. She died at Poplar Hill, July 1, 1820. In June 1765, she married Francis Watkins, a patriot who served as a member of the Committee of Safety for Prince Edward County. A Virginia genealogist reveals something of Agnes Woodson’s mechanical genius: “Under her supervision, she had a gamut made to teach her daughters the elements of music; calicos were printed by a process and design of her own; and skills made on a loom of her own original design. Her patriotism and bravery were remarkable, and it is known that she used a rifle with skill.”
Agnes Woodson Chapter historically carried out the patriotic theme of DAR, participating in war relief work by knitting sweaters, socks and other items for the military in WWI and WWII. They adopted a French orphan and contributed to the restoration of Tilloloy, a French Village. The Chapter later purchased an article of furniture for the Texas Room in Memorial Continental Hall in Washington, and also purchased a chair for Constitution Hall in Washington, DC.
Agnes Woodson Chapter assisted in organizing the Betty Martin Chapter in Temple and the Ensign Thomas Huling Chapter in Killeen. The Chapter also sponsored a Children of the American Revolution chapter, Casa de Tejas.
Agnes Woodson Chapter was merged into the Three Missions Chapter in 2005.